Bignou Gallery Albums
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of 33 albums containing photographs of artwork that passed through the hands of the Bignou Gallery (New York) during the 1930s and 1940s. Many of the photographs are accompanied by information about the painting such as physical description, exhibition history, and provenance. The artists included are mainly French from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries, and include such luminaries as Cézanne, Corot, Dufy, Matisse, and Renoir.
- circa 1930s-1940s
- Bignou Gallery (Organization)
These records are open for research under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives access policy. Contact the Archives Department for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Étienne Bignou (1891-1950) was a Parisian art dealer, noted for his paintings by artists such as Cézanne, Daumier, Corot, Degas, Renoir, Dérain, Picasso, Utrillo and Matisse. He opened his own gallery in 1927, and after Georges Petit's death, he purchased Petit's firm with dealers Gaston and Josse Bernheim-Jeune. Georges Keller was appointed director of the Galerie Georges Petit in 1929. After the gallery closed in 1933, Keller continued to work with Bignou at his Galerie Étienne Bignou and became the director for the New York branch of the Bignou Gallery in 1935. After Bignou's death in 1950, Keller closed the Bignou Gallery and became director of the Carstairs Gallery, New York.
10 Linear feet (33 Volumes)
Language of Materials
Albums containing photographs and descriptions of artwork that passed through the hands of the Bignou Gallery (New York) during the 1930s and 1940s.
Albums are arranged alphabetically by artist or movement.
Gift of Carstairs Gallery through George Keller, July 23, 1962. Mr. Keller, then head of Carstairs, was formerly with both Barbazanges and Bignou Galleries.
Arranged and described by Shannon Yule, 2011.
- Art dealers--New York (State)--New York
- Art galleries, Commercial--New York (State)--New York
- Art, Modern--19th century
- Art, Modern--20th century
- Bignou Gallery
- Corot, Jean-Baptiste-Camille, 1796-1875
- Cézanne, Paul, 1839-1906
- Degas, Edgar, 1834-1917
- Derain, André, 1880-1954
- Dufy, Raoul, 1877-1953
- Impressionism (Art)
- Lurçat, Jean, 1892-1966
- Manet, Édouard, 1832-1883
- Matisse, Henri, 1869-1954
- Modigliani, Amedeo, 1884-1920
- Monet, Claude, 1840-1926
- Picasso, Pablo, 1881-1973
- Post-impressionism (Art)
- Renoir, Auguste, 1841-1919
- Rouault, Georges, 1871-1958
- Seurat, Georges, 1859-1891
- Toulouse-Lautrec, Henri de, 1864-1901
- Utrillo, Maurice, 1883-1955
- Finding Aid for the Bignou Gallery Albums
- Shannon Yule
- © 2011The Frick Collection. All rights reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description