01. The Frick Collection Records
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
The New York residence of Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), a prominent art collector and industrialist, was designed by Thomas Hastings and completed in 1914. The house, located at One East 70th Street, was opened in December 1935 as a public art gallery, The Frick Collection. Correspondence, telegrams, lists, notes and invoices document the furnishing and interior decoration of the house from 1913 to 1920.
Contracts, work orders, invoices, receipts, vouchers, and progress reports document the work of the general contractor and subcontractors during the conversion of the Frick residence to The Frick Collection, a public art gallery, and the construction of the new Frick Art Reference Library building.
The Frick Collection, a New York City art museum housed in the former residence of industrialist and art collector Henry Clay Frick, began its lecture program in 1936. Lecture Records, 1936-1985, document the founding and administration of both the staff and guest lecture programs. Records include correspondence, lecture schedules, memoranda, attendance figures, tickets, promotional material, clippings, and some text copies of the lectures.
Since 1940, The Frick Collection and the New York University Institute of Fine Arts have jointly sponsored a Symposium on the History of Art for graduate students. Records of the Symposium, 1939-1982, contain correspondence, programs, invitations, press releases, work orders, opening remarks, and summaries of graduate student papers that document the founding, evolution, and administration of the Symposium program.